The Basement is Auckland’s culture-defining powerhouse - home to an artistic mixtape of theatre makers, dancers, visual artists, poets, musicians, comedians and everyone in between. We are chocka-block full of original local content - world premieres make up over half of our programme- and we proudly showcase the best new voices and fresh perspectives.
The beating heart
of Auckland theatre
—Winner of best Theatre, Metro Magazine (2014)
Smack-bang in the middle of a car park in the central city - coming to The Basement is always an experience no matter what’s on. All tickets are under 25 bucks, so bring a date, because you can shout like a high-roller (and whether you love the show or not, it’ll be a great icebreaker). Come watch sweat drip and spit fly as some of the brightest new talent earn their chops at our place.
You can’t download theatre - come get something live.
- We believe arts are vital for life!
- Between bangin' art and bangin' profit, we'll choose art every time.
- We are game changers, and we urge others to change it up too.
- We go hard out for our artists, our audiences, and our community.
- Our powers combined — collaboration smashes competition.
- We want everyone to feel at home at the Basement.
BY THE NUMBERS
- From when we opened the doors in 2008 the Basement has played host to over 600 productions and thousands of artists both onstage and off.
- Since 2013, we have paid out almost $800K to artists through the Risk Share Model and hosted over 100,000 audience members.
- In 2016, 90% of our content was New Zealand work, and 80% of the works were world premieres.
At the Basement we take 20%+GST of box office in place of the usual upfront venue hire fee.
BASEMENT AND BREAKFAST
Early morning play readings of works in development, with feedback exchanged for free coffee and croissants.
THE PRODUCERS DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVE
A year-long paid residency for the best up and coming industry connectors.
A programme that offers more than 500 free tickets to theatre each year for our partner schools as well as transport to and from the venue, education packs and Q & A sessions with the artists.
Fully paid workshops for 6 new works programmed in our space per year.
Opportunities to work alongside The Basement team and be part of the “beating heart of Auckland theatre.”
For more information about any of our programmes, sign up to our artist's newsletter here.